With the developing situation regarding COVID-19, we have suspended Qualifiers for Players Tour Series 2 and will make additional changes based on government recommendations. Thank you for your patience as we continue to ensure health and safety at our large events. Please read our broader Magic esports announcement, as well as changes for MPL and Rivals League qualification in the 2020 Partial Season, for more information.
Updated: March 31, 2020
Players with questions about specific Qualifiers for the Players Tour should contact the tournament organizer for details.
- Players Tour Series 2 Qualifiers (see below)
- Players Tour Series 3 Qualifiers
Bring your top strategies with you to a qualifier for the Players Tour, and you may emerge from the event with an invitation to the second Players Tour in 2020!
Qualifiers for Players Tour Series 2 will take place between January 11, 2020 and March 29, 2020.
- WPN Qualifiers (WPQ) – These events will be hosted by approved WPN stores. WPN stores have the option to have WPN Preliminary tournaments that invite players to an open or closed WPN Qualifier. Check with Organizers for details.
- Players Tour Qualifiers (PTQ) - These events are for players who are looking for a larger one-day event. The minimum attendance requirement for this qualifier is 128.
- Magic Premier Series qualifiers (MPS) – This is a program that integrates tournament series run by third party organizers.
*The 3-letter code will show in the event schedule to help you determine the event type you are playing in.
Formats for WPN Qualifiers (WPNQs) and Players Tour Qualifiers (PTQs):
- 1/11/2020 – 1/26/2020 – Standard, Modern, Sealed Deck
- 2/1/2020 – 3/15/2019 – Standard, Sealed Deck
- 3/21/2020 – 3/29/2020 – Pioneer, Sealed Deck
- Decklists are required.
- Planeswalker point multiplier 5X. (WPN Preliminary events have a 4X multiplier.)
Formats for Magic Premier Series (MPS):
- Please refer to the event's fact sheet for format information
- Decklists are required
- Planeswalker point Multiplier 5X
Players Tour Qualifiers and Magic Premier Series events, like the SCG Tour, are open to all players including ones that have already earned an invite.
The following players may not compete in WPN Qualifiers or Players Tour Qualifiers or Magic Online Players Tour Qualifier for Players Tour Series 2 2020:
- Players that are already qualified for Players Tour Finals Series 2 2020*.
- Players that are already qualified for Players Tour Series 2 2020*.
Complete information about invitations to Players Tour can be found in the Magic: The Gathering Invitation Policy.
The prize card for this round of qualifiers is Cryptic Command.
The structure for qualifier tournaments is modified Swiss-style.
Tournament Length and Advancement
WPN Qualifiers (WPQs) and Players Tour Qualifiers (PTQs) follow this tournament structure. WPN Preliminary and Magic Premier Series events, may have modified structures. Participants should refer to that events fact sheet for information on structures.
- Swiss rounds will be 50 minutes in length.
- Single-elimination playoff matches will have no time limit.
- Number of Swiss rounds based on attendance according to the following chart
|8||3 Single-Elimination Rounds (No Swiss)||None (Run Single Elimination)|
|9-16||4 (if Limited Format with Booster Draft in Playoff) 5 (All Other Formats)||Top 8 (If Limited Format with Booster Draft in Playoff) Top 4 (All Other Formats)|
*Qualifiers run at MagicFest have special structures. Participants in Magic qualifiers at MagicFest events should refer to the fact sheet for a MagicFest event for information on the structure of those tournaments.
- Playoff matches will be best two of three.
- Playoff matches will be single-elimination.
- While there are no time limits in the playoff rounds, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 60 minutes.
- Standings after the Swiss rounds will be used to determine final order in the standings for losing players in the quarterfinal and semifinal playoff rounds.
- For the first game of each match in the playoff, the player who finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each playoff match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Fact Sheet.
- Players are responsible for bringing their own method of tracking life totals and appropriate counters or tokens.
Entry fees for qualifiers vary from organizer to organizer. Contact the tournament organizer of the qualifier you are planning to attend for exact information.
The top finishing player at each qualifier will receive an invitation to Players Tour Series 2 in 2020. There will be events in North America, Europe, and Japan. A player may choose to play in any of these Players Tour events but may only play in one (1).
Reminder: Invitations to Players Tour do not come with travel paid for by Wizards of the Coast. You are responsible for your own travel arrangements to a Players Tour event.
Other prizes are determined by the organizer of each event. Contact the organizer for additional details.
Players who have general questions about the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, Wizards of the Coast LLC, the Wizards Play Network, or any Magic: The Gathering Organized Play program should contact Wizards of the Coast as follows:
- In North and South America, access the Knowledge Base.
- In all other areas, go to the Global Contact Information Page.
Below is a list of locations that will host the qualifying tournaments between January 11, 2020 and March 29, 2020. This list will be updated as events are scheduled, so please continue to check back for updated schedules. WPNQ events denoted as WPNQ* are closed qualifiers and you should contact the Organizer for details about their preliminary qualification.
- WPN Qualifier – WPNQ
- Players Tour Qualifier – PTQ
- Magic Premier Series - MPS
If you are interested in qualifiers being run on Magic Online, you can view them here.
Updated: March 13, 2020